Updated: April 2021
What does a 6C0X1 do?
Manages, performs, and administers contracting functions for commodities, services, and construction using simplified acquisition procedures, negotiation, and other approved methods. Uses automated contracting systems to prepare, process, and analyze transactions and products. Acts as business advisor, buyer, negotiator, administrator, and contracting officer. Supports all functions of contingency operations.
Where and How Long is the Tech School For a 6C0X1?
40 Days - Lackland AFB, TX
What Does the 6C0X1 Duty Badge Look Like?
Acquisition & Financial Badge
What are the Demographics for the 6C0X1 Career Field?
What are the Requirements to Become a 6C0X1?
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing.
- Ability to speak distinctly.
- Never been convicted by court-martial or never have received nonjudicial punishment for dereliction in the performance of duties involving contracting activities, larceny, misappropriation of government funds or property or financial irresponsibility.
- No record of disciplinary action (Letter of Reprimand [LOR] or Article 15) for committing acts of misconduct or engaging in falsification of legal documents or documented failures (LOR or Article 15) to exercise sound leadership principles with respect to morale or welfare of subordinates and peers, leadership or customers.
- Never been convicted by a civilian court of a Category 1, 2, or 3 offense, nor exceeded the accepted number of Category 4 offenses. Category 3 and 4 traffic offenses alone are not disqualifying.
NOTE: Categories of offenses are described and listed in AFI 36-2002, Regular Air Force and Special Category Accessions, Uniform Guide List of Typical Offenses.
What are the Duties and Responsibilities For a 6C0X1?
Advises government and contractor personnel on contracting related issues. Obtains data on marketing trends, supply sources, and trade information. Prepares memoranda, determinations and findings, justifications, and approvals. Documents contracting files. Prepares documents, processes transactions, and maintains files applicable to automated contracting systems and other electronic methods. Analyzes statistical data pertinent to contracting functions. Ensures contractors comply with bonding, insurance, and tax requirements as applicable. Supports studies pursuant to competitive sourcing.
Performs market research. Reviews requirements to include descriptions, government furnished property, availability of funds, justifications for sole source, brand name purchasing, and delivery requirements. Reviews proposed documents to ensure contractual correctness and compliance with regulations, directives, laws, statutes, and contracting policies. Reviews government estimates. Determines appropriate contracting methods and contract types. Maximizes use of commercial items and practices. Interprets and explains government procedures and regulations.
Determines applicability of contract clauses and special provisions. Prepares solicitations, solicits proposals for commodities, services, and construction requirements. Ensures solicitations are publicly advertised as appropriate. Reviews and evaluates cost and pricing data/information. Analyzes and reviews award actions. Obtains and evaluates past performance information. Determines contractor responsibility. Evaluates responsiveness of bids and offers. Prepares and conducts negotiations. Prepares bid abstracts. Amends and cancels solicitations. Rejects bids. Reviews and evaluates bids or offers. Recommends contract award. Mediates protests.
Conducts site visits to determine adequacy of contractor compliance and customer satisfaction. Interviews contractor employees to determine labor law compliance. Trains and monitors quality assurance personnel. Assesses contractor compliance and determines appropriate actions. Resolves claims, disputes, and appeals. Terminates contracts and administers termination settlements.
Provides contingency contracting support at stateside or deployed locations in support of joint U. S. and allied forces. Develops and manages contingency contracting program plans.
Evaluates methods and procedures used in purchasing commodities, services, and construction. Ensures contractors’ adherence to delivery schedules and prices. Prepares and presents evaluation in the form of correspondence and briefings. Participates in the unit self-inspection program.
What Are the Specialty Qualifications for a 6C0X1?
Knowledge. Knowledge is mandatory of: pricing techniques, market trends, supply sources, US or foreign commercial practices and marketing factors contributing to prices of items, equipment, materials or services. Knowledge is mandatory of basic computer applications, audit procedures, policies, laws, and directives governing purchasing and contingency contracting policies and procedures.
Education. For entry into this specialty, completion of 24 semester hours in business related subjects, such as accounting, business finance, law, contracts, purchasing, economics, industrial management, marketing, quantitative methods, and organization and management is desirable, or possession of a baccalaureate degree.
Training. The following training is mandatory for award of the AFSC indicated:
- 6C031. Completion of the apprentice contracting specialist course.
- 6C071. Achievement of Level I Certification in contracting under the Acquisition Professional Development Program and completion of Defense Acquisition University (DAU) Contingency Contracting Course (CON 234).
Experience. The following experience is mandatory for award of the AFSC indicated:
- 6C051. Qualification in and possession of AFSC 6C031. Also, experience in functions such as assisting and performing duties involved in simplified acquisition procedures, negotiations, and other approved methods.
- 6C071. Qualification in and possession of AFSC 6C051. Also, experience in contracting for commodities, services, construction, and contract administration. Ability to perform Contingency Contracting Officer (CCO) duties.
- 6C091. Qualification in and possession of AFSC 6C071.
What Are the Possible Assignments for 6C031?